Monday, March 14, 2011

Clarysta Goes Somewhere Else

This one goes out to you and yours, worldwide
I say, hey, I be gone today
But I be back around the way
Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see, the less I know


I tried the LotRO tourney on Friday. Chance for a lifetime membership (which doesn’t exist, except in PAX-Land). Now, three years in the game means I’m really awesomely good at this, right?

Apparently not. No captain, no champ, no Black Arrow. Instead – minstrel, guard and hunter. Level 65 3-man Barrow Downs skirmish. Two strangers in my group. No voice and there was too much noise in the Expo Hall to try to communicate.

I pull Minstrel. Oh geez. A HOBBIT minstrel even. Been a while since my minstrel got a chance to play, and I may need help remembering how to tier up….oh wait.

Great. A GIMPED hobbit minstrel. Maybe 6 skills on the hot bar. One of which is a ballad. No Song of Soothing. No songs at all. My yellow sword skill thing is missing. Oh geez, I can’t remember which is the good heal. I know it’s a green button. Where’s Pajama Boy The Flying Minstrel when you need him?

Deep breath: best group so far barely went 10 minutes, so this will be ok….OH EM GEE NOBODY SET UP PASS THROUGH TARGET!!!

We lasted 9 minutes. Not good enough to stay in the tournament. The healer died, silly hobbit. Next tournament needs to be a captain/champ duo, please.

On Sunday, I played again. My height advantage was negated because someone put out stools for the freakishly tall people so they wouldn’t have to hunch down to reach the keyboard. More importantly - there were actual SKILLS on the HOTBAR!!! Typical Turbine, always dumbing down the game.

I have a new horse from PAX but I have to wait until the update before I can see what it looks like. Most expensive in-game item ever.

I’ve been a lot of places all around the way
I’ve seen a lot of joy, and I’ve seen a lot of pain
But I don’t want to write a love song for the world
I just want to write a song about a boy and a girl

The Lovely Lady Captain playing Guild Wars 2 at PAX:
Photobucket
Quick review of GW2:

It seems like Rift got a jump on GW2. The GW2 events felt very much like Rift - although the content designer I talked to said the GW2 system is more fixed in size, scale and location. Similar approach to "grouping," as in, GW2 doesn't even require the public groups. Kills are shared, xp is shared, loot is shared. All you have to do is hit it - which makes me a little concerned about slackers/griefers.

And I don't care how many times this content designer told me "GW2 doesn't have quests." That personal story line looks and feels EXACTLY like questing. And to make things worse, those aren't shared with the people you group with. At character creation, you start branching along some story line. I guess if you play with a partner (like I do) you could create identical story lines so you could play together.

Skills have a global cooldown, like Rift. My Warrior chick had a skill that looked EXACTLY like the animation used for Rift's Bullrush charge. I had a nice self-heal, very spammable, and the health meter is a circle instead of a bar.

The Fight On or whatever they called it was really cool - if you are dying you are given a "last chance" and if you succeed you get invulnerability! That was very cool. The moose that zoned into a rock and back out again, and then dropped a sword that was a definite upgrade, was not so cool. Made me very concerned about itemization and loot.

Lovely to look at. My character was very pretty. However, the run animation was really bad - she looked like she had a tummyache, all bent over. GW2 has no mounts and relies on class-based run speed buffs. Swift travel is via the map to rally points. Death penalty is money - even in the tutorial, dying cost me 8 copper.

No cosmetic system. When oh when will these mmo's learn? GW2 allows you to keep the look of a particular piece of gear, but it is not slotted as a separate cosmetic. The armour has multiple dye areas which was really nice. Unfortunately, the starting armour for my Norn Warrior chick looked remarkably like the new LotRO captain set.

I'll try it again in beta, when I can play for more than 40 minutes. It may be that Rift will be on a 2nd or 3rd update by then, which would probably put Rift ahead of GW2. Right now, GW2 = Rift < LotRO.

4 comments:

  1. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/can-someone-link-me-some-t14784.html?t=14784

    Check the Third comment.

    Obviously it's your opinion and all, but dying in the tutorial? Ever heard of moving lol? And no, Guild Wars 2 DOSN'T have quests. It has dynamic events in the place of quests, which you can join and un-join whenever you feel like it; also, the event will only scale if someone PARTICIPATES in an event, not just hit something. The personal Story is just a way of developing your character, well, through a story. If you wanted to, you could just not do any story line and just do dynamic events.

    This way, people who like the "questy" side of things, can do that, and people who dislike them, can do dynamic events.

    I'd also like to mention that the events although similar to Rift's... rifts.... are taking over quests entirely.. unlike Rift, when you've still gotta kill tne rats. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The Fight On or whatever they called it was really cool - if you are dying you are given a "last chance" and if you succeed you get invulnerability! That was very cool. The moose that zoned into a rock and back out again, and then dropped a sword that was a definite upgrade, was not so cool. Made me very concerned about itemization and loot."
    I'm sorry I can't understand this here? What do you mean by "a moose zoned into a rock and back out again"? Are you complaining about getting a good item as a drop? This game measures your individual skill more than loot anyway. The downed state (Fight On) simply picks yourself back up once you defeat an enemy you don't get invulnerability.
    "Lovely to look at. My character was very pretty. However, the run animation was really bad - she looked like she had a tummyache, all bent over. "
    Nearly all MMOs have a hunched state when in a combat stance. If you sheathed a weapon you would notice they would run and stand straight. Unless you played a Charr which in that case they are meant to look like that being the bestial race, if you sheathed their weapons, however, they would be running on all fours.
    "GW2 has no mounts and relies on class-based run speed buffs. Swift travel is via the map to rally points. Death penalty is money - even in the tutorial, dying cost me 8 copper."
    Were you just standing in one location trying to kill something during the tutorial? The Devs have constantly stated how important positioning and movement is during the game? Were you killed by the Wurm? You have that "spammable heal" as you called it, wouldn't you have run some ways before dying or were there no one around the things you were engaging combat with?
    "No cosmetic system. When oh when will these mmo's learn? GW2 allows you to keep the look of a particular piece of gear, but it is not slotted as a separate cosmetic. The armour has multiple dye areas which was really nice. "
    Wait so does it have a cosmetic system or not? You just said armor has multiple dye areas to cosmetically enhance a piece of gear which means it does have a cosmetic system, so why do you say there doesn't. There is also town clothes that you can put on as cosmetic gear, (like the orginal Guild Wars Costumes) and the transmutation stone to transfer good stats on a weaker item.
    "Unfortunately, the starting armor for my Norn Warrior chick looked remarkably like the new LotRO captain set."
    Why is that unfortunate? Why would this be a bad enough thing for you to comment on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some one should have done a little research before posting her "review"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude I don't know what's she talking about here:

    "And I don't care how many times this content designer told me "GW2 doesn't have quests." That personal story line looks and feels EXACTLY like questing. And to make things worse, those aren't shared with the people you group with. At character creation, you start branching along some story line. I guess if you play with a partner (like I do) you could create identical story lines so you could play together."

    I have not played the game, but I've SEEN enough of it. There is no way you can say personal story = questing. In the 40 min videos we've seen enough to say it's no where near the experience of quest hubs.

    ReplyDelete